Saturday 5 November 2011

UCET 2011 November





















UCET November 2011

Having something to say, that’s original and worth saying: and then saying it. Private thoughts in public spaces. Breaking the silence: being known.

It’s not enough to have something to say, it’s not even enough to have something to say that is original – you have to have something to say that is original and worth saying.

I have just presented a paper at the UCET conference. When I started at Hull the Research Director informed me that he did not have a high regard for people who simply attended conferences but nothing (in terms of REFable output) seemed to emerge from their attendance and that if I wanted to participate in such events I should aim to always present. This was good advice and so I am presenting and aim to do something as often as I can – ideally 2 or 3 times per year.  Without this prompting, I doubt I would be so fixated on this.

I managed to get through my MA and EdD without presenting anything, ever – until my final year when I had to do my viva.  My supervisor suggested that it was important that I presented at places before the viva as a trial run and so I spoke at Doctoral school conferences.  There’s a strange anxiety exhilaration, deflation and more anxiety that surrounds the experience. The only space that offers those same emotions but in an exaggerated hyper sensation: silence.
Did I not see a tweet – hell is not getting out of bed.  I’ve done silence. It’s not me.

I return to meme #1 – writing that pushes the boundaries – learning as living at the edge of our comfort zone:

A generative dance on the edge of a volcano.

·         There is a strong methodology question: entering a terrain in which I am already present and deeply implicated: situational analysis
·         I need a much closer reading of skills for sustainable growth – a critical discourse analysis
·         This is a trial run that I then see if I can work with other practitioners to pursue and develop: through RaPAL? Or the Y&H consortium. Can this be a range of activities that they try out with students and feedback on – as data; an exercise where I quote them and get them to analyse the quote
·         Does social practices present an overly romanticised view of literacy – does it ever acknowledge the dis-functionality that is directly attributable literacy as a distributed community resource. The anecdotes – toxic literacies, dysfunctional literacies, poisoned literacy portraits - the voices of students and teachers who after all - want change
·         I could have and wish I had asked much more about the people in the room. Got there perspective and geared my presentation around it.
·          Had the slide but bottled the discussion about my purpose and methodology – what this research is not.  It refuses instrumentality and ‘action research’. 




It’s hard to explain how mixed my feelings are just now. While I am pleased to be presenting and speaking about research on the other hand the anxieties that kept my silent for so long have not disappeared. They are as present as ever and produce a feeling of wretchedness after the seminar. It was not as good as I would have liked. 
Perhaps I did not push myself enough (not just at the last stage) to move beyond and develop an analysis that emerges after hours of sweat.  An analysis that I feel proud of, excited by.  But – such analyses are struggled through ... on the way there, there is this unwanted and seemingly useless stuff I have to feel my way through
As well as this and after a workshop I had to leave early but wanted to stay and attend,  I could for future refs try to predict who will be there and have alternatives approaches to meet those different audiences. 
I could have engaged more - conversation. Instead of a presentation – have an activity embedded – questions for participants and an activity
I could have made the presentation more stimulating by embedding video clips.  I could have invited them to be part of the data analysis.
I have just noticed the possibility of a link between how literacy is conceptualised and their own motivations for teaching; that these motivations may strongly influence their sense of what it is they are teaching – what we teach is connected to why we teach



No comments:

Post a Comment