Friday 17 September 2010

Student Writing: access regulation desire

I'm reading this book slowly - somehow my reading seems to weave in between everything else I need to read. The first few chapters are quite intense - they are strongly theoretical and I guess this is the pattern but somehow my sense is that they theory feels better placed after the data. It didn't frame the work in the way I would have liked. I will go back and read the first few chapters again. 


I get the overall shape of the text. 


Student writing - Access & the idea that regulations the claim to be explicit and transparent and asses only your capacity to do what is required. Actually, she suggest that gaining access to the requirements are less then straight forward. They are 'mystical'. 


Student writing - Regulation - here she argues that what can be said is subject to these unwritten rules, that learners are none-the-less required to comply with. This is in terms of the use of language, the impersonal third person absent I. There are a few concrete examples of this kind. Also referred to is the emotionalism that has to be regulated. Avoiding certain comments that may be unwelcome - 'the critique of an absent education system'. My comment that IOE 2nd markers comment 'you are not at liberty to say that'. Good for me that I really didn't care. And said it anyway. My super supervisor was different. She just said it jumped out.


Haven't read desire yet. 


I'm not a massive fan of her style of writing and she is clearly a linguist. But it is opening up the area for me - gently. 


Theresa Lillis: Student Writing - Access, Regulation & Desire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment